Director – Biochemical Genetics Laboratory
Dr. Wood came to the Greenwood Genetic Center (GGC) as a clinical laboratory fellow in 2000. After completing fellowships in clinical molecular and clinical biochemical genetics, he was named assistant director of the biochemical genetics laboratory. In 2006 he was promoted to director. Dr. Wood is currently ABMG certified in both clinical molecular and clinical biochemical genetics.
Dr. Wood is a member of the Society of Inherited Metabolic Disease, the Society for the Study of Inborn Errors of Metabolism, the American Society of Human Genetics and is a fellow of the American College of Medical Genetics. Dr. Wood serves on the board of directors for the Southeastern Regional Genetics Group and is a member of the South Carolina Newborn Screening Advisory Committee.
The GGC biochemical laboratory has a broad focus and serves as a clinical testing center for South Carolina, including follow up testing for expanded newborn screening. The laboratory specializes in the diagnosis of lysosomal storage disorders, congenital disorders of glycosylation, and creatine biosynthesis disorders.
Office (864) 941-8177
Fax (864) 941-8133
- B.S. (Biology) - Samford University, Birmingham, AL, 1993
- M.S. (Zoology) - Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Carbondale, IL, 1995
- Ph.D. (Human Genetics) - University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, 2000
- Clinical Molecular Fellow and Biochemical Fellow, Greenwood Genetic Center, 2000-04
- Asst. Director, Biochemical Genetics Laboratory, Greenwood Genetic Center, 2004-06
- Director, Biochemical Genetics Laboratory, Greenwood Genetic Center, 2006-present
- Wood T, Bodamer OA, Burin MG, D'Almeida V, Fietz M, Giugliani R, Hawley SM, Hendriksz CJ, Hwu WL, Ketteridge D, Lukacs Z, Mendelsohn NJ, Miller N, Pasquali M, Schenone A, Schoonderwoerd K, Winchester B, Harmatz P. Expert recommendations for the laboratory diagnosis of MPS VI. Mol Genet Metab. 2012 May; 106(1):73-82.
- T. Wood, O.A. Bodamer, M.G. Burin, V. D'Almeida, M. Fietz, R. Giugliani, S. Hawley, C.J. Hendriksz, W.L. Hwu, D. Ketteridge, Z. Lukacs, N.J. Mendelsohn, N. Miller, M. Pasquali, A. Schenone, K. Schoonderwoerd, B. Winchester, P. Harmatz. MPS VI: Illuminating the Path to Diagnosis. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism. 106(1):73-82. 2012.
- De Biase, I. Champaigne, N. Schroer, R. Pollard, L. Longo, N. Wood, T. Primary carnitine deficiency presents atypically with long QT syndrome: a case report. JIMD reports. 2:87-90. 2012
- Mudd, H. Wagner, C. Luka, Z. Stabler, S. Allen, R. Schroer, R. Wood, T. Wang, J. Wong, L-J. Two patients with hepatic mtDNA depletion syndromes and marked elevations of S-adenosylmethionine and methionine. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism. 105(2):228-36. 2012
- Burruss, D. Wood, T. Espinoza, L Dwivedi, A Holden, K. Severe Hunter syndrome (Mucopolysaccharidosis II) phenotype secondary to large deletion in the X chromosome encompassing IDS, FMR1 and AFF2 (FMR2). J Child Neurol. 27(6): 776-780. 2012
- Sowell J, Wood T. Towards a selected reaction monitoring mass spectrometry fingerprint approach for the screening of oligosaccharidoses. Anal Chim Acta. 2011 Feb 7;686(1-2):102-6.
- Sowell J, Norris J, Jones K, Schwartz C, Wood T. Diagnostic screening for spermine synthase deficiency by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. Clin Chim Acta. 2011 Mar 18;412(7-8):655-60.
- Sowell J, Pollard L, Wood T. Quantification of branched-chain amino acids in blood spots and plasma by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry for the diagnosis of maple syrup urine disease. J Sep Sci. 2011 Mar;34(6):631-9.
- Sowell J, Fuqua M, Wood T. Quantification of total and free carnitine in human plasma by hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr Sci. 2011;49(6):463-8.
- Champion KJ, Basehore MJ, Wood T, Destrée A, Vannuffel P, Maystadt I.Identification and characterization of a novel homozygous deletion in the alpha-N-acetylglucosaminidase gene in a patient with Sanfilippo type B syndrome (mucopolysaccharidosis IIIB). Mol Genet Metab. May;100(1):51-6. 2010.
- Pollard LM, Williams NR, Espinoza L, Wood TC, Spector EB, Schroer RJ, Holden KR. Diagnosis, Treatment and Long-Term Outcomes of Late-Onset (Type III)Multiple Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency. J Child Neurol. Dec 18. 2009.
- Carling RS, Hogg SL, Wood TC, Calvin J. Simultaneous determination of guanidinoacetate, creatine and creatinine in urine and plasma by un-derivatized liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Ann Clin Biochem. Nov;45(Pt 6):575-84. 2008.
- Giurgiutiu DV, Espinoza LM, Wood TC, Dupont BR, Holden KR. Persistent Growth Failure in Prader-Willi Syndrome Associated With Short-Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Gene Variant. J Child Neurol. Jan;23(1):112-7. 2008.
- Wang D, Wood T, Sadilek M, Scott CR, Turecek F, Gelb MH. Tandem mass spectrometry for the direct assay of enzymes in dried blood spots: application to newborn screening for mucopolysaccharidosis II (Hunter disease). Clin Chem. 2007 Jan;53(1):137-40.
- Lyons MJ, Wood T, Espinoza L, Stensland HM, Holden KR. Early onset alpha-mannosidosis with slow progression in three Hispanic males. Dev Med Child Neurol. Nov: 49(11):854-7. 2007.
- Schimmenti LA, Crombez EA, Schwahn BC, Heese BA, Wood TC, Schroer RJ, Bentler K, Cederbaum S, Sarafoglou K, McCann M, Rinaldo P, Matern D, Amat di San Filippo C, Pasquali M, Berry SA, Longo N. Expanded newborn screening identifies maternal primary carnitine deficiency. Mol Genet Metab. 90(4):441-445. 2007.
- Clark AJ, Rosenburg EH, Almeida LS, Wood TC, Jakobs C, Stevenson RE, Schwartz CE, Salomons GS. X-linked creatine transporter (SLC6A8) mutations in about 1% of males with mental retardation of unknown etiology. Hum Genet. 119(6):604-10. 2006.
- Cason AL, Ikeguchi Y, Skinner C, Wood TC, Holder KR, Lubs HA, Martinez F, Simensen RJ, Stevenson RE, Pegg AE, Schwartz CE: X-linked spermine synthase gene (SMS) defect: the first polyamine deficiency syndrome. Eur J Hum Genet 11(12):937-944, 2003.
- Li, P. Wood, TC. Thompson, JN. Diversity of mutations and distribution of single nucleotide polymorphic alleles in the human ∞-L-iduronidase (IDUA) gene. Genetics In Medicine. 4(6): 420-426. 2002.
- Hahn, KA. Salomons GS. Tackels-Horne, D. Wood TC. Taylor, HA. Schroer, RJ, Lubs, HA. Jakobs, C. Olson RL. Holden, KR, Stevenson RE, Schwartz, CE. X-linked mental retardation with seizures and carrier manifestations is caused by a mutation in the creatine-transporter gene (SLC6A8) located in Xq28. Am J Hum Genet. 70(5): 1349-56. 2002.
Books / Chapters
- Young S, Struys E, Wood TC: Quantification of creatine and guanidinoacetate using GC/MS and LC-MS/MS for the detection of cerebral creatine deficiency syndromes. Current protocols series. Unit 17.3. July 2007.