Senior Clinical Geneticist
Richard Schroer, MD, is a clinical geneticist involved in the evaluation and treatment of patients with a variety of genetic conditions with a specialty in metabolic disorders. Dr. Schroer provides clinical evaluation, care and counseling for metabolic patients across the Midlands, PeeDee and LowCountry of SC. His clinical interests also include intellectual disabilities, autism, dysmorphology, and birth defects.
Dr. Schroer is certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics in Clinical Genetics (1982) and Clinical Biochemical Genetics (2002), and the American Board of Pediatrics (1981). He is a member of the American Society of Human Genetics.
Office (843) 679-0927. ext. 104
Fax (843) 676-9881
- M.D., Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, 1975
- Residency (Pediatrics) Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, 1975-1978
- Fellow, Greenwood Genetic Center, 1978-80
- Metabolic Fellow, Greenwood Genetic Center, 2001-2002
- Skinner C, Schroer RJ, Stevenson RS. Deletions in chromosome 6p22.3-p24.3, including ATXN1, are associated with developmental delay and autism spectrum disorders. Molecular Cytogenetics 2012, 5:17.
- DeBiase I, Champaige NL, Schroer RJ, Pollard LM, Longo N, Wood TC. Primary carnitine deficiency presents atypically with Long QT syndrome: A case report. JIMD Reports. 2012 2:87-90.
- Pollard LM, Williams NR, Espinoza L, Wood, TC, Spectro EB, Schroer RJ, Holden KR. Diagnosis, treatment and long-term outcomes of late-onset (Type III) multiple acyl-Co-A dehydrgenase deficiency. J Child Neuro 2010 25:954-60.
- Schroer RJ, Holden KR, Tarpey PS, Matheus MG, Griesemer DA, Friez MJ, Fan JZ, Simensen RJ, Strømme P, Stevenson RE, Stratton MR, Schwartz CE. Natural history of Christianson syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. 2010 Nov;152A(11):2775-83.
- Plank SM, Copeland-Yates, SA, Sossey-Alaauik, Bell JM, Schroer RJ, Skinner C, Michaelis RC. Lack of association of the (AAAT)6 allele of the GXAlu tetranucleotide repeat in intron 27b of the NF1 gene with autism. Am J Med Genet 105:404, 2001.
- Stevenson RE, Schwartz CE, Schroer RJ: X-linked Mental Retardation. New York, Oxford Press, 2000.
Armfield K, Nelson R, Lubs HA, Häne B, Schroer RJ, Arena F, Schwartz CE, Stevenson RE. X-linked mental retardation syndrome with short stature, small hands and feet, seizures, cleft palate, and glaucoma is linked to Xq28. Am J Med Genet 85:236-42, 1999.
- Schroer RJ, Phelan MC, Michaelis RC, Crawford EC, Skinner SA, Cuccaro M, Simensen RJ, Bishop J, Skinner C, Fender D, Stevenson RE. Autism and maternal derived aberrations of chromosome 15q. Am J Med Genet 76:327-336, 1998.
- Häne B, Schroer RJ, Arena JF, Lubs HA, Schwartz CE, Stevenson RE. Nonsyndromic X-linked mental retardation: review and mapping of MRX29 to Xp21. Clin Genet 50:176-183, 1996.
- Wang Y, Treat K, Schroer RJ, O’Brien JE, Stevenson RE, Schwartz CE. Localization of Branchio-Oto-Renal (BOR) syndrome to a 3 Mb region of chromosome 8q. Am J Med Genet 51:169-175, 1994.
- Feldman GL, Weiss L, Phelan MC, Schroer RJ, Van Dyke DL: Inverted duplication of 8p: Ten new patients and review of the literature. Am J Med Genetic 47:482-486, 1993.